Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a VIP Wristband? Why do I want one?
- Is there an age limit to enter the event?
- What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- Can I take photos?
- Where can I eat at Fort Mason Center?
- How may I contact the organizer with any questions?
- Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
- Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
- What is the refund policy?
- Where can I make a donation to Friends of the Beat Museum?
What is a VIP Wristband? Why do I want one?
This gold colored VIP wristband entitles you to:
- Free Admission to the Friday Night Beatnik Shindig Pre-Party in North Beach ($25 value)
- Early arrival and private cocktail hour at that very same Beatnik Shindig Pre-Party ($25 value)
- A Beatnik Shindig tote-bag full of terrific SWAG – including a bottle of California wine ($50 value)
- Priority seating to all the sessions where you’ve purchased a ticket (priceless!)
- BONUS: First in line to all the limited seating free sessions at The Reader’s Bookstore (wow!)
You definitely want one. It is like being the cool kid, but with real advantages. The VIP wristband entitles you to tremendous benefits as stated above and you get access to priority seating at all sessions when you purchase a ticket.
Is there an age limit to enter the event?
Events are open to all ages. There will be mention of sex and drugs during some sessions, as these are simply historical facts related to the Beat Generation, but if you’re interested in the Beats enough that you’re considering coming to this event, you already know that. We tell the truth in our historic discussions, and some of these truths might be a little uncomfortable for children of a certain age. You know your kids best, and anything they hear from us will likely be no worse than what they hear on television, popular movies, and popular music. Also, please be aware there will be alcohol available at this event, and as you know, the legal drinking age is 21.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Driving – from the East Bay
- Bay Bridge to Fremont St. exit; stay on Fremont (100 yards north)
- Right on Howard (first right off of exit)
- Left onto Embarcadero and go ~ 2 miles
- Left onto Bay and go 2 miles
- Right on Buchanan St.
- Cross Marina Blvd. and take a sharp right into the parking lot
- Keep right and proceed to the Fort Mason Center parking lot
Driving – from the North Bay
- Take the Golden Gate Bridge (US 101)
- Head toward San Francisco and exit at Marina Blvd.
- Go 1.5 miles to Buchanan St.
- Left into the parking lot and immediate right toward Fort Mason Center parking
Driving – from the South Bay/Peninsula
- Take US 101 North to the 9th St. Exit
- Take 9th Street across Market St.
- Left onto Hayes St.
- Right onto Franklin St.
- Left onto Bay St.
- Right onto Buchanan St.
- Cross Marina Blvd. to enter lot and immediate right toward Fort Mason Center parking lot
Parking at Fort Mason
Enter at the intersection of Buchanan St. and Marina Blvd. Make a sharp right and go past the gate to park in Fort Mason Center (ranges from $2 – $14 based on the length of your stay) or make a left to park along the Marina Green (this lot is free but has restricted hours – please check signs carefully). Free parking may be available on local side streets.
Several bus (MUNI) lines stop close to Fort Mason Center:
- 10 Townsend (comes from the Financial District)
- 22 Fillmore (comes from Potrero Hill, up along Fillmore, stopping just a few blocks away)
- 28 – 19th Avenue (comes from SFSU and stops right outside the FMC gates)
- 30 Stockton
- 47 Van Ness (comes straight up Van Ness, stopping just a few blocks away)
- 49 Van Ness/Mission (comes straight up Van Ness, stopping just a few blocks away)
- 82x Presidio/Wharves Express
Need more help? Try the Bay Area public transportation Trip Planner (511.org)
Can I take photos?
Yes. Absolutely. Beat events are typically open in this regard. Just please be respectful of your neighbor and the presenters on stage and try not to block anyone’s view, or annoy/distract with incessant clicking sounds or flash.
Where can I eat at Fort Mason Center?
The vegetarian restaurant Greens is located in Building A. In addition to restaurant seating, Green to Go opens at 8 am with breakfast and lunch items.
Cooks & Company, located on the ground floor of Building B, serves pastries, sandwiches, salads and soups for take-out until 3 pm.
Goody Cafe, in Building C, serves savories and sweets Tuesday – Sunday from 8 am – 4 pm.
How may I contact the organizer with any questions?
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Yes, it is possible, but we do need to see written documentation that the ticket was officially transferred.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Please print out all tickets and bring to the events.
What is the refund policy?
Refunds are available for cancellations made prior to Friday, June 12th. Just go to Eventbrite, manage orders and follow instructions.
Where can I make a donation to Friends of the Beat Museum?
Whether you can or cannot attend the Beatnik Shindig this year, we appreciate your support! Your donations allow us to make this and other community arts and cultural events possible. Friends of the Beat Museum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all donations are tax-deductible. Our goal is to continue offering this conference every year along with many other events.
To make a donation go to the Donate page, and click Donate on the left side of the page.